Jack and the Giant. Udo J. Keppler, artist. 1907. Library of Congress.
We give a “hat tip” to the Attorneys Fees Blog of the National Association of Legal Fee Analysis (NALFA) for sharing with us its top 5 attorney’s fees cases for 2012, which go this way:
1. $305 million -- Southern Peru Copper Fee Award
2. $144 million -- Avandia MDL Fee Award
3. $140 million -- Mattel-MGA Fee Award
4. $90 million -- Black Farmers Fee Request
5. $30 million -- Bluetooth MDL Fee Calculation/Request
We can now add that U.S. District Judge James V. Selna (C.D.Cal.) has given preliminary approval to a settlement in the Toyota Motor Unintended Acceleration class action case, where fees of $200 million and costs of $27 million are being sought on a “capped” basis (but subject to the district judge’s approval under lodestar/percentage of recovery analyses). That well could be a biggie case for 2013, if the settlement is actually approved later this year.